Skriven 2008-07-07 00:34:32 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
  Kommentar till text 10030 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
Ärende: summer gardens in ny
============================
Hi Ruth!

>> Know what you mean there.. though I've been lucky really I think.
>> Besides Sinus trouble/Allegies to dogs/cats/dust/mold (everything in

> I know what you mean on the allergy bit. I've also got asthma so my
> pulmonologist in HI told me I've got a choice--cats & dogs or keep
> breathing. Much as I'd love to have critters, I'll live without them.

Don't blame you. Not worth the risk for someone in your position - it can be
downright dangerous.  We've got a lot of asthma in our family  - My mom has it,
my daughter had it until she was about 12.. my sister's kids have it as well.
Certainly no fun :(

> But, they get plenty of attention whenever I visit a place that has
> them. (G)

That can be a good fix :)

>> didn't have to lose to start with
>> :(, and my blood pressure was down to 97/60.. no wonder I was so darn

> No fun; my drugs tend to have the opposite effect on the blood pressure.

That's not great either.. no wonder you don't like coffee.. that would up it as
well. I've been drinking a lot of coffee to get my bloodpressure up a
little..helps some.. at least I'm not as dizzy as I was.  It'll probably take a
few more weeks to get that drug out of my system ...

> I could stand to lose a few pounds but other issues make exercise a bit
> of a problem.

I can believe that.. :(

>> dizzy :( Now I'm starting to get my appetite back at least so that's
>> something.. Here's a nice fattening bread I made to help me get
>> healthy again :)

>> ===Panetone===
>> We like baking this in coffee tins, decorated as gift boxes :)

> Now that looks good! I keep seeing them in places like Fresh Market
> around Christmas and want to buy but Steve keeps talking me out of it. I
> may give this a try, tweaking it to whole wheat flour and so forth.

It's a good sweet bread - I've never made it with whole wheat though.  If you
do make it, let me know how it comes out.. :)

> I think I'd be going nuts if I had to have an IV diet--if I had my wits
> about me. (G)

Didn't work for her, sadly enough.. They found a tumor in her upper digestive
tract, but thankfully it was encapsulated and hadn't spread anywhere else. I
believe she'll be going to rehabilitation (again) in a few days. But at least
we know now what the problem was..

>> > That is good to hear. I wish I could get off my pharmacy but.....one
>> of > these days I will.........forever.
>> Hopefully off them while you can still enjoy your time off them!

> I'm not holding my breath but it would be nice............

I'm sure.. moving to somewhere the allergens aren't works for a short while,
but it catches up with you.. That's what happened to me at least, in Kentucky..
the firt year we were in Louisville, all my allergies to outdoors things were
'gone'.. by the second year, they were back :(

> I don't think she has the machine any more so probably wouldn't recall
> if it had a cork or not.  Most of the time she made plain vanilla which
> I didn't appreciate as much as a kid. I'd (still) rather have a good
> chocolate but a really good vanilla is acceptable.

Chocolate is great - rocky-road is good too.. Cherry vanilla is also great haha
Butter pecan.. Ah, I guess I like a bunch of them :)

>> My dad was always like that.. he always hired men to do work that
>> needed to be done... So unlike Ron.  Ron isn't afraid to tackle any
>> job, pretty much.

> My dad did quite a bit, including building a house with no carpenter
> training. He did contract out some of the jobs and found out over the
> years the shoddy jobs done by the outside help.  He started in spring of
> 55; we moved in in January of 57 and the last room was finished off in
> winter of 69-70. Mom & Dad are still living in it but it's not really
> designed for older folks with physical challenges.  They re-did the
> kitchen 30 years ago but never put in a dishwasher. That would be my #1
> priority. (G)

When the kids were little, I think my 1st priority was a clothes washer and
dryer .. but by the time I had the two of them, and MS, yep, that dishwasher
became #1 :)

>> > But, there are some that think that the hotter it is, the better it
>> > tastes. Bleurgh!

>> Well, I like thai and korean food when it's hot, but flavorful :)  A
>> dish with just tons of red pepper flakes doesn't do it for me (g)

> Same here. If I can control the amount of heat that goes into it, I like
> it better.

Yes, in Louisville the korean chef would always come out to the table and ask
how hot we'd like the food - I miss that :)  This korean restaurant is great in
Binghamton, but I don't remember anyone asking about how hot we wanted the
meals.

>> Well my lettuce was so great this year.. It actually had heads on it..
>> tasted incredibly good too :)  The peas are about ready for a
>> re-planting, and have generated tons of sugar snaps :)  The potatoes
>> look lik

> Sounds like your garden is beginning to do better.

Yes, though not sure how the tomatoes will fare.. the plants have flowers so
that's good.. but I haven't seen any tomatoes yet.. sad :(

> Are you freezing peas
> or just eating them as they come ripe?

Both.. :)  I plant them very heavy and get a great crop usually.. so I freeze
the bulk of them, but always have some in the Frige for salads, or for stir
fry.  Sugar snaps are good after they've been frozen, but are no where near as
good as they are right off the vine.

>My dad never planted peas until
> I was out of the house but does now. Our girls used to like eating them
> fresh off the plant whenever they visited.

Yes, my grandchildren LOVE eating them off the vines :)  They usually love
grabbing broccolli too.. After the main head of broccolli is cut off, the plant
continues making florets pretty much all summer.. so there is always broccolli
florets out there for them to swipe as well :)

Take care,
Janis

--- BBBS/LiI v4.01 Flag
 * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)