Skriven 2008-08-09 17:07:38 av BURTON FORD (1:123/140)
Ärende: Picnic - Days  2-4
==========================
Hi    8/9/08 2:47 PM

    Back to the K's for about an hour and then off to a farmers' market in
Binghamton with the K's and Michael directing the way.  Met Carol S. and
her daughter and did a little shopping.  I got some Italian parsley and
instructions from the seller on how to dry it.  She must have felt so sorry
for the lady who didn't even know for sure how to do it she gave me her
last 2 bunches for $1.  It worked great putting it on the dashboard of my
car in the sun for a couple hours!  Also got a big candy sweet onion but
somehow we forgot to slice it so never got to try it.

     From the market to find a Wegman store.  Michael bought meat for
spiedies and also picked up a lovely piece of tenderloin.  He jokingly told
us it was for a snack on the drive back.  At least I thought it was a joke
until he passed it around.  That was one of several firsts for me - a
couple of the dishes at the Chinese restaurant and the octopus we later had
were more.  Before meeting Burt over 50 years ago the most exotic food that
I ever had was Dutch lettuce and my mother even let me pick the onions out
of that. I guess I'd eat octopus again but the raw meat wasn't a big
thrill.  To me it tasted exactly the way a butcher shop smells.  [Burt:  I
loved the raw meat but limited myself to 5 or 6 big bites, as a courtesy
to Michael who paid for that little snack.]

     Back at the K's we met their son & his girlfriend and Nancy Backus
also showed up.  The spiedies Michael made were very good, especially the
lamb.  As usual, we all crammed in around the table and tasted whatever
happened to be on it.  There were 14 chocolate bars with different flavors,
etc.  I seemed to be the only one who really liked the tea chocolate that I
thought smelled and tasted strongly of tea but I guess I'm an eat with
unsophisticated taste buds.

     We gave up the grazing to leave for a very nice Italian restaurant.
Burt & I each ordered shells Vincenzzo and a glass of RED zinfandel.  We
seldom order the same main dish when we eat out but couldn't resist this.
It was basically a deconstructed lasagna but with shells.  Yummy!  I passed
up any real dessert to have a cup of Hot Nutty Irishman.  Wow, that was
YUMMY too,   Coffee with Tia Maria & something else I can't remember. Back
to the K's where Steve was starting his bread.  At b&b around midnight and
ate the blueberry muffins we couldn't cram in at breakfast.  Really needed
more food.

Picnic Day 3 - Saturday Aug. 2.

 Rainy in the AM.  Believe it or not but Burt had to go upstairs and wake
Michael at 9 AM so he wouldn't miss the ham & cheese strata that Linda made
for us today.  Got to K's and Janis was making fried dough and Steve's
bread was also ready.  Had so many other good things but most of them I
can't even begin to spell except for the pecan pies, smoked turkey, lasagna
& meatballs, miso soup, pork roast, etc. etc.  Rain is over so out we go to
cut the durian.  Doesn't taste exactly as it smells but I'd still prefer a
vanilla pudding.

    Unfortunately Dave & Georgia had to leave early because she got very
uncomfortable.  Because of his recent medical problems, Dave is a mere
shadow of himself and really looks good.

    I think there were 14 of us there pretty regularly and then some of the
K's family and friends.  What a nice group and I'm so pleased that you seem
to accept me and make me feel so welcome.  Besides being a lazy cook, I'm
not much of a computer person either.  As soon as something unusual comes
up or I goof up I call for Burt to come to the rescue.  I try not to use
the same tone of voice that he has often told me his mother used to get him
to wake up for school.

   Sunday Ruth H. had a migraine and unfortunately missed our breakfast.
After we ate Burt & I went out to the barn to see Ron's train layout.  He's
been collecting since he was 12 and has an amazing set up, it rivals the
big one we've seen in Rochester and he's still creating more.

    Today Michael cooked octopus (creepy looking but I actually ate some
without spending much time admiring it).  He also made a delicious lamb
curry that I now have the recipe for and as soon as I round up some fresh
new spices hope to try.

    Burt & I went back to the B&B in the afternoon to try again to walk to
the Susquehanna which was only a short distance behind the place.  We had
tried to walk down with Michael earlier but got onto the wrong path which
was through high wet weeds, fallen limbs & MANY bugs.  Got a glimpse of the
river but I wanted a closeup.  Burt & I huffed & puffed our way back up the
wet slippery slope but Michael went on through the pines.  Ron and Linda
told us we went on the wrong path and there was a nice dirt road a short
distance in the opposite direction that took us right down so that's what
we took Sunday.  Got a good look at the river so I was happy.

Spent that evening at K's doing the usual - sampling many beers, eating
anything that didn't move faster than us and talking.

Our last picnic day - Monday, Aug. 4
     Headed home at 11.  Linda sent us home with a dozen Very big brown
eggs and more than enough rhubarb to bake a pie for our son.  I still plan
to do that but they are away this weekend so I have another day to think
about it.

    As usual Michael was the co-pilot and we took a more scenic route home.
Nice rural area until we got onto Rte.81 again.  Had lunch in Syracuse at
Heid's - good hots & onion rings but blah fries.  Michael felt the same
about his chili.  Visited the salt museum and then on to the airport.  I
think Michael was very glad to leave the car and the GPS.  He really took a
strong dislike to the thing.  I'm sure he wouldn't be able to say which was
worse, that or the bottle of white wine we had taken.

     Headed home around 4 PM.  Stopped in a very small village, Wolcott, NY
to view a very small waterfall they are very proud of and have ice cream
which we ate in the middle of Main St. while sitting on the edge of a
fountain with a statue of naked Venus and water sprouting cherubs.  Every
village has to have something to be proud of.  Also had a good reason for
spending time in this place.  I was supposed to be at a house tour
committee meeting at 7 and wanted to be able to miss it with a clear
conscience.

    We're home and back to normal.  No big breakfast, no table full of food
to snack on.  My first food the next day was 1/2 bagel and coffee with my
friend, Shirley.   Burt probably fixed a sandwich or cereal. [Burt: My
first meal home, a couple bowls of cereal, was Monday Midnight]

    Janis & Ron were wonderful, patient hosts.  Sitting in their kitchen
watching the rest of you good cooks & eating your food, talking and
drinking a beer now & then was just great.  I'm so glad Burt found you and
you invited us in!!

Butch

 * Origin: Doc's Place BBS Fido Since 1991 docsplace.tzo.com (1:123/140)