Skriven 2009-08-20 21:58:00 av BOB GEARHART (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av DAVE DRUM
Ärende: Re: Gustoso
===================
 Dave Drum said to Bob Gearhart at 08-20-09  07:42
 Subject: Re: Gustoso<Dave Drum>

 BG>  Budwater owns everything now.

 DD> R U Kidding? Budwater doesn't even own Budwater any more.

 BG>  They usta did. They bought out every competitive brand, started
 BG>  peddling the same water in different bottles. It was so bad,
 BG>  people started importing their beer to get a little taste.
 BG>  The kids that usta buy their Budwater graduated from college and
 BG>  wanted a real beer flavor, so they sold the farm to some conglomerate
 BG>  that peddles their products through Wally's China-Mart stores.

 DD> Nice rant ... but, not a true statement that all their suds taste the
 DD> same.
 BG>  And because no large brewery was left to satisfy a need for a beer, all
 BG>  the local breweries have sprung up peddling pretty darn decent stuff.

 Bush usta was decent, but they make this light beer now.  Light beer,
 that brings to mind a comment about American beers from Eric Idle.
 He said American beer is like making love in a canoe.  F'en close
 to water.

 DD> You needed to downgrade to the plebeian Busch Barbarian for a decent
 DD> standard A-B guzzle. Or upgrade to Mickey's Lobes Amber Bock.

 I'll buy Labatts Blue now, never cared for Molson, and since they teamed
 up with that western outfit who bottled stream water, they just fixed it
 so they could bottle from the same stream.

 BG>  I think the final touch was when they put a lime {Blech} in Corona
 BG>  ( A Budwater brand ) as though it made it into a sick Margaretta.

 DD> That was started by Corona DF down in the land of the Big Manana -
 DD> BEFORE Butt-Wiper bought them out.

 I don't know who started it, but whoever did had a problem with their
 taste buds.  You sip lemonade, you drink beer.   Sipping beer is the way
 to a headache.  You drink beer in big swallows so you have the bottle
 emptied faster just in case you need it in a hillbilly bar.

 BG>  Now however they are even selling the stuff with the lime in the
 BG>  bottle (double puke.)

 DD> I always figured that if you have to add lime to your beer to make it
 DD> drinkable you have a basic problem with the product itself.

 Maybe those English guys who drink their beer warm might like a lime or
 something, there's just no accounting for taste sometimes.

 BG>  Ever drive around a couple hundred miles below the border?  You will
 BG>  never see a Corona sign, what you see on big red circular signs at gas
 BG>  stations is Tecate, a real Mexican beer sold from iced coolers where
 BG>  you put your coins in and slide the bottle down to the opening..

 DD> I used to spend a lot of time in Ensenada, Baja California which is
 DD> south of Tijuana about 50Km. Northerly enough I could get by with
 DD> American and some Mexican - like "Donde es el bano?" "Dos cerveza, por
 DD> favour" and the universal "muchas gracias".

 I usta go to Ensenada fishing during the early fifties.  $20 got four
 guys a boat, bait, beer and samiches.  Good times, then I graduated
 from the service and came home to reality.   I tried one of those well
 advertised Dos Equos things a while back over at the new J Dubs
 Mississippi - Cajun place.  They spent all the money on the advertising,
 they should have saved some for beer making.

 DD> Mostly I drank Dos Eqiis, Carta Blanca (brewed in the DF), and
 DD> sometimes Negro Modelo if in the mood for dark beer. I probably have
 DD> had Tecate ... but, it doesn't stick out in my memory.

 In the mid eighties my daughter took Spanish for her required second
 language credits.  I took the classes with her in the evening.  After
 that we went for a month long VW Van drive about  in Mexico off the
 beaten path, from Equador to Texas, looking at Mayan ruins.  Living
 with the natives and away from the tousita places, it was great.  At
 that time the real mans beer was Tecate.

 BG>  Advertising sells garbage and we lap it up..  Wally's China-Mart where
 BG>  you can buy all those things that used to be made in the Americas that
 BG>  are now made in other lands so they importers could make a lot of
 BG>  money to spend advertising how cheaply we could buy them.

 DD> I have been boycotting Wally-World for several years now. For reasons
 DD> I have stated here previously. And, yeah, sometimes I wind up paying
 DD> more at K-Mart or Meijers or Target. But, if you factor in *some* worth
 DD> for my time and the shoe leather expended just to get to the door of a
 DD> Super Wally-World - and deduct for the quality of the food and
 DD> merchandise they flog - I wind up with a net-gain.

 Some guy came pounding on my door a while back who was using the old
 Ameritech as a cummon.  I retired from there, so let him in the door.
 Found out it's now another bunch of crooks who want to manage your
 money for you.  I told him to go get a job making something in the
 USA, like maybe a frying pan, so I could buy it from him if he wanted
 any of the small amount his kinda friends left me with..

 BG>  It would be a bit better if they were made here again as folks might
 BG>  have a few bucks coming in too buy them with.
 DD>
 DD> Well, DUH!!! Let me say, though, that Sam Walton, whilst he liked to
 DD> make money, did not run his business like that. But, his heirs sold
 DD> their birthright to the bean counters for a mess of pottage. And they
 DD> *DO* worship at the altar of Mammon. I'd be willing to bet that if one
 DD> could hook a dynamo to the shade of Mr. Sam, wherever he is interred,
 DD> you would have enough electricity to light downtown Kalamazoo.

 Don't have the slightest idea about Sam Walton, unless he had something
 to say good night on TV for.   I know that Wally's China-Mart buys such
 huge quantities from China they can pretty much set their own price.
 Maybe not anymore since China dumped 14 billion of it's dollar reserves
 last week.   They keep saying they are in agreement with me, they don't
 want any more American dollars, I agree, we shoudn't give them anymore.

... Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12
 * Origin: Doc's Place BBS Fido Since 1991 docsplace.tzo.com (1:123/140)