Skriven 2010-06-07 21:18:06 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
     Kommentar till en text av Janis Kracht
Ärende: Dog gone, Kitchen Aid                                    [1]
Hi Janis,

 JK> the > house (and recover a bit of energy), I did my set up this
 JK> morning and > sewed about 3 hours this afternoon.

 JK> I'll bet you made some great progress there... at least most of the
 JK> seam work. Zipper in yet?  I tend to follow pattern instructions

Behind again because Steve is trying to upgrade my computer, sewing,
etc.  I'm basting the zipper in tomorrow; it's a lapped one so a bit
trickier to do.  Hopefully after tomorrow's fitting I will be able to
sew it in, do the hem, pull the bastings and hand it over this time next
week.

 JK> pretty faithfully since at least the ones from Kwik Sew are so well
 JK> organized, etc..  I think I've been using their patterns since I was

I've used them a few times; one of my favorite skirts is one of their
patterns.

 JK> I contacted them about 5 months ago.. when I first decided to replace
 JK> of them for a huge number of sizes. They come in multiple sizes, not
 JK> just one size... so I could as easily make a denim jacket for Alex as

 JK> Anyway, once I put in the order online I got an email saying I could
 JK> "download" my pattern asap (????)... and print it (??????????)  I had
 JK> to wonder if these people setting up this web site had ever tried to
 JK> print out pattern pieces for Men's clothing on how many 8 1/2 X sheets
 JK> taped together Lol

Probably not; I've seen sites like that but not bought anything for that
very reason.

 JK> I decided to contact Kwik Sew at that point.. like I said, I've been
 JK> using their patterns since I was first introduced to them by a german
 JK> friend of mine in high school :)  They were pretty suprised to hear
 JK> what that other site was doing... and they pointed me to a good site
 JK> to actually get the pattern from via postal mail.  The other site was
 JK> forced by Kwik Sew to give me a refund for my "pattern" (thank
 JK> goodness).  I applied that to the new purchase

Sounds like all worked out well in the end.  Hmmmmmmmmmm, Steve's using
my KA & we're hearing some wierd noises coming from it.

 JK> > jacket I made Steve (the white one he wore at your picnic), I took
 JK> apart > the old one. I think I do more of the latter than the former;
 JK> the dress > pattern was just a good find.

 JK> I can imagine :)  I use both the pin method onto say large sheets of
 JK> white paper (cheapest stuff I can find anywhere (g)).. I never used
 JK> that method until I bought a collection of 2 yard lenghs of denim and
 JK> accessories (zipers, buttons and rivets and riveting tools) and books
 JK> from a sewing center that was closing up shop (sad here in Binghamton,
 JK> they were retiring and no one in the family wanted to take over the
 JK> business).  It was from a class they held frequently at the sewing
 JK> center.. The owner sold me the entire contents of her storage box of
 JK> the class for $50.00.   I grabbed it (g).  Those books detailed
 JK> the pin-through-the-seam method.  Very neat way to copy existing
 JK> clothes to make patterns.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Are the books multiple copies of the same
one/if so, do you have any extras still?

We made it up to the farmer's market this past Saturday.  Got some fresh
beets that we grilled that night (with some of the Japanese eggplant we
got from Carol), some peas that were about past prime and some garlic
shoot pesto.  Plus, we decided to buy some herb plants--the usual 3
Italian (parsley, oregano and basil) ones.  They're outside, in the
ground this year vs our customary kitchen window site.

>> Lol.. he'd just eat my hair if he did that (vbg).. that's their newest

 JK> > But Mommy, I was hungry!

 JK> ow ow ow.. it hurts :) They really root around (laugh).  My hair is a
 JK> bit longer now than when you saw me last (not sure.. but it's sure
 JK> darker (grin)). But they think it's their latest way to get Mommy's
 JK> attention.. especially since she's had to run out so much the last
 JK> several days for the 'car' business (bg)

Which is, hopefully settled by now.

 JK> > Eats like a bird, a peck at a time?

 JK> Kind of :)  He'll pick up a few pieces, carry them off somewhere and
 JK> eat them. Toby has always done the same thing (grin)

Our bichon did that but only one piece at a time.

 JK> > That was not a problem.  It just didn't penetrate because they
 JK> didn't > use that mattress that it needed replacing--until they were
 JK> forced to > use it.

 JK> Right, understand ... they had to feel the pain to know what it was
 JK> like.  Feel bad for them for that night they had to spend in it.  It
 JK> must have been miserable but I guess it helped them get a new one.

They got a new bed set for themselves, plus, I think a new mattress &
box springs for the guest room.  I don't think they spent a lot of money
tho as they had to replace their mattress a few years later.

>> in there that can open but it doesn't seem to get much breeze.  We've
>> got an air conditioner in there that works well, so thankfully in the
>> summer it's at least cool in there.

 JK> > That's a help; I appreciate an air conditioner if available.  We
 JK> have > central AC but I also use a ceiling fan to circulate the air.

 JK> Yes, I like having the ceiling fans in the house as well.. helps a
 JK> lot.

I know; we've got 3 in this house and they get used quite a bit.  Living
room, bed room and sewing room--all in place when we moved in.

 JK> I guess it also stirs up a bit of dog hair too though (g) So I try to
 JK> keep things mopped down and vaccumed.  It makes a difference.

Probably an almost daily job with your motley crew.

 JK> My daughter told me that Indy doesn't bother her at all.. but when
 JK> sophie touches her she gets itchy.. Her allergies are so sensitive
 JK> compared to mine and Ron's.  She was always the same way with
 JK> Priscilla and Toby. For some reason Toby's fur bothered her, and so
 JK> did his 'spit' like when he gave her a lick :)

That's very sensitive, to be able to tell the dogs apart by her
reaction.  It could be the genetic mix of them too, even if they are
litter mates. One could have gotten more traits of one breed than
another one did.

... Multitask: make twice the mistakes in 1/2 the time.

--- PPoint 3.01
 * Origin: Sew! That's My Point (1:396/45.28)