Skriven 2010-07-23 18:22:04 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
  Kommentar till text 40243 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
Ärende: Herbs and such
======================
Hi Ruth,

>> Happy Birthday :)  We hope you have a great day :)

> Thanks. It was quiet except for talking to both my parents & Steve's
> plus Rachel & kids on Skype, then Deborah on the phone.  Because of oter
> plans, we went out tonight to celebrate.

We're heading up to my daughter's house on Sunday since that works out best for
everyone.. I'll bring an angelfood cake (and candles (g)) since that one is
safe for everyone.  I'm planning on stopping at the Ithaca health-store for
some 'safe' ice cream (I think it's made with coconut milk IIRC) and then I can
stuff it with Ice Cream and some fresh fruit.

==How to Fill an AngelFood Cake==
Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream
Dark Red cherries
1 10" Angel Food Cake
Confectioner's sugar or boiled white icing

After the Angelfood Cake is completely cooled, carefully slice off the top 2
inches of the cake with a long knife and reserve.  Try not to break it :)  Cut
a channel in the remaining cake, about an inch or two deep and an inch or two
wide, and save the removed pieces.  Mix Whipped Cream or Ice Cream with fresh
fruit like cherries, and lightly mix in the reserved channel pieces. Stuff the
cakes' channel with the cream/fruit/cake mix (you may want to chill it before
stuffing). Cover the cake with the reserved top. Sprinkle the Top of the cake
with Confectioner's sugar or ice the cake with boiled white icing. ===

> We went to La Foresta, an
> Italian place in the older part of Wake Forest.  I had Veal Marsala; it
> was loaded with mushrooms, not the skimpy bits you get at some places.

Boy do I love that.  It's such a good dish.  If you get it in New Jersey, no
other place can compare (g).  Sounds like the place you went did a great job
with it though :)

> Steve had the Calamari Marinara; no rubber bands at all!  It was a mix
> of rings and tentacles.

Darn!  Another one of my favorites :) :)  Now I'm starving for the two of them
:)

>We split an appetiser of fried ravioli with
> marinara sauce (excellent!)

Neat idea, it does sound good :)

> and a Caesar salad--I think it had too many
> black olives for Steve's liking but I enjoyed them.  Lots of cheese on
> it too.  The bread looked and tasted like pizza crust but was on the
> soggy side.  We had mini cannolis for dessert; menu listed a chocolate
> one but its been discontinued.  Overall, a good meal with left overs for
> tomorrow's supper.  Mine came with penne pasta; Steve's with linguini.

When I make veal marsala I always make it with Linguine...Interesting that they
served it with penne - generally though, whenever there's a delicious 'white'
sauce involved, Linguine has been our favorite.

>> (especially Ithaca and Binghamton) a number of the new mom's have been
>> more aware of natural foods, homeopathy for treatments, childbirth and
>> a bit more. I would guess it depends on the area where one lives.
>> It's a very "in" thing to do, and glady it's a really good thing for
>> the kids and the family in general.

> I'm seeing some of that too. One young mom in our church sees to be into
> it; I'll ask her how much she does do with it.  I know she is more into
> "non traditional" cooking to some extent, using a lot of tofu.

You probably won't hear much about herbal use for health I'd bet.. but there
should be plenty of literature around I'd hope.

>> various news agencies.. the habit of putting babies in the same bed as
>> parents was pretty bad, and reportedly possibly the cause a number of
>> infant deaths (will have to go online and find the source). Hopefully
>> those kids saw it.

> I saw something about it in the Raleigh paper as well.

The practice can't be good for anyone.. and does seem like it could be
dangerous for the baby.

> Part of it too, for my parents was the fact that they could afford
> convenience foods more so than when I was growing up.  Mom started
> working for the school when I was in 6th grade; when I was in 8th grade
> she became the school librarian and started work on her MSLS.  The extra
> money definately made a difference for our family.

Must have been the 'times'.. My mother went back to nursing when I was about 13
or so.  Before that she'd never used her degree in nursing.  Then, after
several years of obstetric nursing, she decided that was enough of that, and
worked as the school nurse at a migrant day-care center.  It was a lot more
challenging because the kids there rarely got decent food at home, or decent
care from doctors.  The day-care made quite a difference in their lives.

>> True. I haven't made Tofu from scratch nor tried making tahini from
>> scratch, though I've seen a number of recipes for it.. When I make
>> hummus it's so simple to make that I should try one of the millions of
>> recipes I've seen for it :)

> We do the tahini from scratch when we make hummus.  It's not that much
> extra work, especially if we use the food proccessor for making it.
> I've never done tofu but we have considered it.

Same here.  We bought my daughter some tool or other from the site where I got
my grain mill, that let her make milk from 'various' seeds, etc.  Looked pretty
neat :)

>> flavor. > Even one brand is pretty much like another.  OTOH, a scratch
>> cake is
>> > more flavorful (IMO),

>> Agree there :)

> The hard part now, is to get people to realise that. (G)

I'd guess most people don't have the time to do it, anyway.

>> Actually, I did price it out once when I was baking for people.  It
>> was much cheaper to make things from scratch.. without taking bad
>> shortcuts that would affect the quality of the cake.

> OK, I haven't looked into the pricing of it.  I know when we first
> started making bread, I could do it for less than half the cost of a
> loaf of a good whole wheat bread.

This was when I was using all-purpose flour purchased at the store, I'm not
sure about the pricing with home ground flour - but I think it should be even
cheaper.. That of course is assuming that we don't count our time in the cost
(grin).

>> again, we'd beg him to show us the movies after dinner. I'm trying to
>> remember how often it was that he'd do it..Certainly on holidays..

> We did it after the family trip and maybe once or twice during the
> winter.  Also had slide shows from time to time.

I don't think we ever had slide shows.. can't remember any at least :)

>> other than that, probably once a month or someone's birthday, that
>> kind of thing :)  Later Mom had those old films copied to CD for us..
>> the edits made by the reproducing company were great.  It was good to
>> see Mom and Dad and the rest of us from way back :)

> Dad had some put on VHS some years back, no editing that I know of.

I think the editing was done because there was soooooo much material.  With 6
kids, and every 'family' and church event being filmed, I can just imagine the
fellow's face when my mom walked in there (g)

> Wouldn't it be a boring world tho if we all liked the same things?  Even
> differneces in food tastes make life interesting. (G)

True :)  And he is open to all of the other strange things I try out :)

>> > don't have problems with it.  Haven't tried the ravioli maker yet;
>> still > settling "dust" from the trip.  We'll probably wait until the
>> weather > cools off a bit too.

>> Sure, I can understand that.  Probably best to wait til the cooler
>> whether anyway :)

> Yes, especially since it's supposed to hit 100 for the next 3 days.

We had a monster lightening/rain storm today.. real huge boomers - My beets are
LOVING it though since we've had alternating days of high heat, rain storms and
sun.  They are HUGE :)  I could kill those puppies though.. they thoroughly
overran my greenbean bed :(  Next planting will be in the penned in area with
the Tomatoes (g)

>> That's the nice thing about making it from scratch.  You can half
>> recipies, etc.

> Or, make the whole amount and stock the freezer. (G)

I was going to freeze half the Lasagne I made this week but it's a good thing I
didn't. We had unexpected company and they loved the lasgne :)

>> I saw a half gallon container of Coconut milk at the store the other
>> day, I was really surprised.  My daughter had a container at her house
>> so I took a look at the healthfood store here.. :)

> Find any yet?  I don't think we would use too much of it.

Yes, at the healthfood store, and it's also at Weis food stores. I guess it's
popular because of all the people these days with Dairy intolerance.

>> > They did; the husband of one suggested I enter it into competition
>> like > a fair.  I don't think it's that quality yet.

>> I thought it was :)  It's probably becoming one of those lost arts..
>> :(

> Sigh!  Like so many other things.  Depends on if I can get it done
> before fair time or not. We're reorganising book cases now--ordered more
> for this year's seminary books.

Hope you are able to enter it in the fair and here's a wish of good luck in
winning the competition :)

Take care,
Janis

--- BBBS/LiI v4.01 Flag