Möte SURVIVOR, 495 texter
Skriven 2006-01-19 17:23:00 av James Bradley (1:134/77.0)
     Kommentar till en text av Ardith Hinton
Ärende: What's in a Name?
=========================
Hey there girl:

It's a tough day here, but I'll just make a cursory reply for today. I think we
understand each other enough to understand each others' shorthand? (How was the
apostrophe there? It's not needed in that case when it's not a specific
"target?")

On or about 01-18-06 14:46, Ardith Hinton did engage James Bradley

 JB>  It's all good fun, but I do find I have to prepare
 JB>  people for how bombastic I can be. Sometimes I hurt
 JB>  their feelings, as I thrust that dagger in the chink of
 JB>  stuff, and  how apostrophes fit into the mix.) impetus to
 JB>  take it from there. (Maybe *I* lack momentum? :-)

 AH>           Yes, you've used the possessive correctly above.  Now as for

If it's a specific individual, but with "others'..." Maybe a lack of motivation
on my part, has kept me from understanding the punctuation and grammar guide. I
recall reading some of it when the topic came up in English classes, but I
started in on it being as baffled as I am today. I promised myself to give it a
shot when I found it in the back of my dictionary, but then I got brazen with
my Linux box, and it would appear my efforts to congregate the confluence of
work, has only confounded the calamity. (Ya, I guess I learnt alliteration
better than anything from the language.) This, with the dictionary in the other
room. I guess I could have worked in "cacophony" too. <G>

 AH> what you were saying... I can relate.  I have a natural tendency
 AH> to cut through the B.S. & get right down to the nitty
 AH> gritty, but not everybody appreciates it.  I need to remind

And we wonder why people get so defencive? "Hell, if you could only see
yourself as others see you..." (EG: Look in the mirror, FOOL!)

"Quit digging in your heals, just because you - in that person - is what you
hate the most about yourself?" This is the shorthand that I feel only the self
effacing human can comprehend, and it's not as common a trait as I would like.
I don't suggest a person should flails them self 24x7, but cripes, KNOW YOUR
FOIBLES, even *if* you're not prepared to do anything about it!

Shoot, I need to shut up now, and soak in a hot tub, but just today, returning
with my first of two loads from auction, I see a truck in an intersection.
Approaching the truck, I see one person throw a punch at another. Still closer,
I notice a bicycle on the ground with plastic bags full of recyclable bottles.

The older fella looked like a respectable enough character, so I figured he
wasn't a "mutual combatant." The punch that was thrown from the younger fella,
had CLEARLY not even come close to its mark, so I knew he only thought of
himself as a tough guy. After this attempt at bodily harm failed miserably, he
started to beat up on the equally placid bags of recyclable drink containers.

Seeing the hot-head escalate in anger in my side-view mirror, (The bounty from
the auction made my rear-view mirror just a passenger.) and just as I reached
the license plate :: normal vision ratio, I almost stop to see if intervention
might be required.

I was fully expecting the elder guy to jump in the truck, but it was the
hotheads' vehicle. As much as I run through the scenarios, I can not see how
this kid had justification to get physical. Perhaps the old guy rode his bike
into the truck, but unless it was a continuation from a previous event...

I guess the world is still turning, and everything is as it should be. <shrug>

 AH> myself that when I've hit the nail on the head they may
 AH> throw up more defences.  I kept quiet when a certain person
 AH> asked elsewhere why others are so stupid, ignorant, and

LOL! "Why is everyone but me crazy?"

 AH> thoughtless because I'd be inclined to suggest she take a
 AH> look in the mirror... she'd probably regard it as a
 AH> personal attack.  While she was venting her anger about
 AH> folks who don't understand xxx she couldn't get her mind
 AH> around yyy (which is actually very similar).  If she made
 AH> such comments in SURVIVOR I'd respond, but I guess I lacked
 AH> momentum in this situation too.  :-)

See my long-handed short hand above. <L>

 AH>  technical terms might help to clarify the issue....  :-)
 JB>  OK, if you "Don't see them here." spill the beans! <G>

 AH>           I'll try to be brief.  The analysis is based on an updated
 AH> version of the ancient Greek theory of temperament.  A lot depends
 AH> on inductive reasoning, i.e. observing how people behave &
 AH> recognizing patterns.  As a result there are no answers in
 AH> the back of the book.  I find the theory explains many
 AH> things I'd hitherto found quite baffling, however....  :-)

That's one of the things I've been working on. "When xyz didn't work the first
time, what in the hills make you think it might work differently the next
time?"
How about, "inductive - inductive" reasoning? I noticed just days ago, (Shoot,
I need to shut up, and you start me in on these topics! I guess I *did* ask for
it, didn't I? *8-) that I'll bump into a wall enough times, that random events
alone lets me stumble into the right course of action. Then, I realize I didn't
take notes of how I achieved that success. (Yes, back to my LR 'puter.)

 AH>           Here's an example I stumbled over recently.  Nora
 AH> had been reading... with my help... some excerpts from
 AH> KIDNAPPED.  I glanced casually at a magazine & the name
 AH> "Alan Breck Stewart" jumped out at me.  I hadn't realized
 AH> Alan was a real person... so I read the article, then
 AH> compared it with another.

 AH>  Article #1                             Article #2
 AH>  ----------                             ----------
 AH>  Colin Campbell was a good man, and     Colin Campbell was also known
 AH> as the
 AH>  very fair... he even had one of the    Red Fox.  [In the novel, Alan
 AH> refers
 AH>  Stewarts in his employ.                to this man by his nickname.]

I'll cut this there. Reading the wrapped version was easier than I thought it
might be.

 AH> In both articles Alan was one of the suspects, but he could not be
 AH> found. That would explain why, in the novel, Alan is trying to
 AH> keep a low profile!  Anyway, I've used this example because
 AH> to me it clearly shows the differences between a "J"
 AH> (judgement) & a "P" (perception) thinking style.  The first
 AH> author tells us Colin Campbell is a Good Guy & his
 AH> assailant is a Bad Guy.  He has done all our thinking for
 AH> us.  The second author gives us more information, and
 AH> leaves it to us to make judgements if that's what we really
 AH> want to do.  For me, it would be a lot more productive to
 AH> examine the questions he's raised in my mind....  :-))

Sure... Ya... Right... <G+D>

I'm a little foggy, this Alan is the fictional character, who was described by
two "articles" from different authors. Is he the assailant, or the tax
collector known as Alen by a nickname? Maybe the story isn't the story, but how
two newspaper articles can elicit different impressions of the same story.
Article A told us this tax collector was shot dead, and article B tells us he
had some muscle with him, when he was shot dead?

 AH>           In any given individual, these characteristics lie along a
 AH> continuum. I'm a "P" person... I suspect you are as well.

I do need to take a break. I couldn't tell you if I *am* a "P", or what the
alternative is. (REREAD: 'Judgemental') Honestly, I have tears welling up, and
it's not from the subject line. I'll try to keep up, but know you've got a
'body in tow' here.

 AH> But neither of us is as extreme as the guy who broke both
 AH> legs & couldn't wait to get back to doing whatever he was
 AH> doing at the time!  And IMHO it's important to realize that

Oh, ya... That guy. "Same waggon: Same hill?" Sure, get back on the horse, but
don't run him off the same cliff! The horse is bound to let you go it alone at
the last moment. Maybe that's why they call it 'horse sense'. <-:

 AH> one's preferred thinking style doesn't necessarily have to
 AH> be one's *only* thinking style.  The intent is not to
 AH> assign everybody to pigeonholes, but to make people more
 AH> aware of what's going on & thus enable them to be more
 AH> mentally flexible.

OK, the tears are subsiding, I've reread the J/P debate, but now I have to
remind myself what the "P" stands for again. (Did I mention, I need a hot soak?
;-)

Just what I was about to say, when this stuff was swirling around in my
subconscious, "P" was stand for "person" (I did mention I needed a soak,
right?|-) but I had the "J" for "judgemental" (Ya, I added the "mental" part.
Smart remarks not required.)

I was thinking, even a Judge needs to acknowledge a personal side. (OK, so a
"person" has to "perceive" to be "personal"... Sure hope the hot water tank
holds out.)

My little experience this afternoon was a prime example that I was perceiving
events, and making snap judgements, yet continued to be perplexed by my
imagining the events that lead to the altercation. ... ... ... For the same
reason, I doubt I could find employment as a constabulary function, as I still
do tend to be more judgemental than might have been more fair, but perhaps
these snap judgements is what needs to be made in the roll... ... ...

I told you my sister was working with recidivist juvenile lock-up? I maintain,
that I couldn't do her work, as there'd be bleeding involved, and I'd do my
darndest to keep my own in its vessel. This makes me as bad as the offenders,
as I suspect meeting violence with violence is what brought them to that point
in their lives. At the same time, I think I could restrain myself if someone
was just making me frustrated, which I am 'judging' is what separates the
functional, from the deviant.

Ah, and I thought I was going to sit on my hands today!

 AH>           The other aspect which is significant for purposes of this
 AH> discussion is the continuum from "S" (sensation) to "N"
 AH> (intuition).  I think I'm probably more of an "N" person
 AH> than you are.  A lot of what matters to me goes on inside
 AH> my head, whereas you seem more interested in physical
 AH> activities such as biking & yard work.  Again... neither of
 AH> us is extreme.  You can see below the surface without much
 AH> prodding, and it didn't take much to get me into a kayak.
 AH> Now I'm rediscovering an aspect of myself which I'd been
 AH> neglecting for some time.  ;-)

See, just when I think I know what you are talking about... <ROTF>

Really, I do NOT want to cop out on this topic! I was taxed remembering two
personality types, beside the A-type, B-type, C-type, and you start com
founding me with more that I am equally challenged to remember. (-| <- That's
my puffy eyes almost closed>

I'm trying here, but the:

A-type    The guys at auction, all wearing those cell phones
    that clip onto your ear.

B-type    Frank, who I sat with before the proceedings, that
    never revealed his hand to anyone who asked. (No,
    I know Frank's type too well than to ask what he
    was interested in.)

C-type    The fatalist that has to scurry around almost
    shouting with mannerism, and appearance that they
    are inadequate.

Now,

J Judgemental
P Perceptive
N Imaginative
(Scurrying up the message again... Opps!)

N    Intuition
S    Sensation

My head hurts. "Can I get a drink of water? I know, but I'm thirsty again! Oh,
all right... What if I have to go to the bathroom then? But if I stick my
finger down my throat... "

(OK, I know when I need a break!)

Have I called you a challenging corespondent? ...Lately?

I'm shutting down for some recovery, repairs, and one shot of cortisone. I'll
give you more of a piece of mind after that.  "Take take take... That's *all*
you ever do!" <G>

I'll talk to you later, I hope.

... James
___ MultiMail/Linux v0.46

--- Maximus 3.01
 * Origin: -=-= Calgary Organization CDN (403) 242-3221 (1:134/77)