Skriven 2008-07-24 02:54:20 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
  Kommentar till text 10993 av RUTH HANSCHKA (1:123/140)
Ärende: summer gardens in ny
============================
Hi Ruth!

> -> figured it was a virus.
> ->
> Could be, especially if it didn't come back.

Yep..

> -> house.. :)  Ron and I were renting the upstairs of my mother's house at
> the
> -> time when we first started getting it..  We'd started our software

> Allergic reaction to in-laws?

Lol - could be for Ron - nah, everybody seemed to get along mostly ok (g).

> -> don't think anyone has a back that could that kind of thing...at least
> not for
> -> long :)

> Defintely true.  Then again, I've seen people throw their backs out by
> bending over to pick something up...like a piece of paper.

That's what happens now.. just one wrong turn.. When that happens, he stays in
bed working on his laptop instead of at his desk.. he doesn't like taking
flexoril or whatever the doc suggests for muscle relaxant.. He finds that if he
just stays in bed working for a few days, it goes away on it's own and he can
still think straight.  When he gets a bad one, he could stay in bed for week or
more though.. thankfully that doesn't happen that often.

> -> > That side effect doesn't happen all that often.  I've only had it once
> -> > four years.  Some people never get it at all.
> ->
> -> That's good to hear :)  How long have you had MS now?

> Since 2002 that I know of, and there were some transitory symptoms before
> that I just put down to being me and therefor weird.

Yes, that happens frequently and to me as well.. I was always just a little
klutzy as a kid.. Acting helped that a great deal as I got older, because of
the theatrical exercises actually.. a lot of them from Viola Spolin and her son
Paul Sills.. but I'd had funny things happen when I was in college and didn't
realize what they were until later.

> -> > Kinda sorta maybe.  I don't know how badly off I'd be without it.
> -> Ok, I can understand that.. they try to clip things as soon as possible
> with
> -> the crab drugs, so it can be hard to know, I'm sure.

> I don't want to find out the hard way.

Don't blame you one bit.  I'll tell you the one thing for sure Ron and I have
found throughout the years ... Stress is the one big thing that you have to try
to avoid.. It is hard since just having the darn disease can be stressful in
itself til you realize it's not always so bad .. Once you can let crap slide
off your back, it's better all the  way around. For years, we dealt with things
like housekeeping because obviously, there were times I couldn't do squat, and
we couldn't afford a housecleaning service or whatever.. so dirt wins those
days.. and it's not like it has to be that way every day..but I bet you already
know all that (g).

> -> Probably a good sign really.  Mine was very much like that in the
> beginning and
> -> for several years after I first got it.. Now most of those things are
> gone
> -> completely - blindness in both eyes, deafness in one ear, legs

> I never got those, fortunately.

Great - don't forget, I've had this since 1975.. And the copaxone will probably
make quite a difference for you. When I was getting those symptoms, the only
treatment was steroids and Immuran, a cancer drug that reduced your immune
system so your immune system wouldn't attack your own body ... BetaSeron came
out after I'd had it for over 15 years I think - too long to remember.. When I
started going to NYC for treatment, the prednisone treatment was short but very
heavy high doses. But it worked.

> -> 'telecoping' .. my legs and spine just 'crumbled', incredible >

Ouch.  That sounds like steroids.

Nope, that was the disease.. before I went on Steroids (prednisone generally).
After that attack, I asked my dad to find a "really good doctor" because the
local guy in Warwick (East Podunk haha)  wasn't getting anywhere positive with
my treatment, and I was scared silly at that point.  My dad is the one who got
me the first app't in NYC with Cornell-Medical Center, and that's when things
really turned around for the best.  I got to the doc's office in Manhatten the
first day and told him I didn't know if the neuro in Warwick was nuts or what,
because nothing he was doing was helping, and I felt like I was sliding down
worse and worse (and I was).. I mean maybe he was nuts and I had
 something else (think I was hoping (g)). He gave me a spinal tab right there -
I said, "what about "The Headache"? I have to sit up in the car to go home,
etc.." (most doctors tell you you have to stay flat for something like 24
hours..). He said, don't worry, you only get the headache if the doc. doesn't
know how to do it correctly. (g).. and he was right.  I got up after the
procedure, he told us to go to lunch while he read the test results and that's
just what we did.. but he did confirm the dx.. darn it (g).

> -> Cold or HOT weather.. boy did I get the shakes in Sullivan County for
> years

> Cold doesn't bother me much.  Heat and humidity on the other hand....

Ok - some people get it that way.. one thing you find is in many cases, people
get it differently.  Some are bothered by heat, some cold, in my case it was
any extreme.  Now, I can handle cold again just like before I got this.. but
heat is a killer still.  That's why I'd love to move to Hawaii or Southern
Italy (g).. nah, I like NYS.. works for me ... :)

> but as > -> this Topamax hit me so hard, that's why I'm hesitant to start any
>of the > crab > -> drugs.  Anyway,  hang in there (guess we don't have a
>choice huh? :))

> There's one other option, but I don't own a .357. ;-)

Lol :)  Well you can always kick the cat.. I'm tempted some days, she can be
such a pia (g). Just kidding :)

> -> > -> Yeah, you only see them generally in the early spring..
> -> > Critters, or basil plants?
> -> Sorry :)  Potted Basil plants.

> I've seen a few tomato plants more recently, but no basil.

Yeah they sell it early on.. there are still seeds you can pick up though.

> -> and they were early-girls :(  I had a TON of green tomatoes hahaha.. I'd
> bring
> -> some inside and some would eventually ripen, but not like when they're
> outside
> -> soaking up sun.

> Green tomato mincemeat and fried green tomatoes here we come.

Yep.. you got it.. :)

> -> through 4 or five Qtips on the floor, and he'd pick them up in his mouth
> and
> -> bring them back to me.. It was so neat to watch him do it.

> Pete was half dog.  He was probably raised with them.

hahaha.. nope, no dogs in the house.. just people and IIRC, 3 main coons (g)..
Pete was the last one to find a home.

> -> I think Pete weighed about 25 lbs.. boy that doesn't seem right though..
> I'll
> -> have to ask Ron if he remembers. He looked 'skinny', but that's because
> his
> -> body and tail were so long.

> He was just plain big.  Bobcat sized, pretty much.

Yes, sounds about right.. :)

> Eccentric.  Mine liked to supervise when someone else worked.

Pete liked jumping on top of my dining room hutch (it was really high up there)
from the floor, and just surveying everyone and everything below.. :)   That
was shock the first time I saw him do it..

> -> say, Tina won't be real happy and he said, oh she'll deal with it Lol..
> Hope
> -> he's right haha.. well, have to find a breeder first, so Tina is safe
> for now
> -> :)

> Maxie was the last kitten from a breeder who was shutting down.  She
> couldn't sell him due to his size, so she literally gave him to my father.

That is really great... for him and for you.

Take care,
janis

--- BBBS/LiI v4.01 Flag
 * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)