Skriven 2014-12-16 21:01:01 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
  Kommentar till text 21803 av NANCY BACKUS (1:123/140)
Ärende: Peppers
===============
Hi Nancy,

 NB>  NB>> Whole Foods spread out some, too...  :)   But then, they are a
 NB>  NB>> bigger corporation, too.

 RH> Wegman's might get that way eventually.

 NB> Possibly.  Maybe not, at least as long as it's still a family-owned
 NB> business... :)

Time will tell, especially as the older generation dies off.

 NB> then, the  RH>> dementia was getting more pronounced so she probably
 NB> wouldn't have  RH>> known what to do.
 NB>  NB>> Those last probably put final paid to the whole idea...

 RH> It was at that point Dad wouldn't let her do any more cooking. I think
 RH> she was able to do some rote work like peeling potatoes but he'd cut
 RH> them up and cook them. As I understand, they had several close calls
 RH> with stove coils left one before Dad took over, then he's done it from
 RH> time to time as well, according to Don.

 NB> But the putting up part was her job... so that finally was put aside
 NB> when she couldn't do it any more... things changed enough to break off
 NB> the long-seated habit...  :)

Yes, as has their buying meats in pre packaged portions. One good thing
about those was that Mom didn't have to struggle to cook a whole roast,
chicken, or whatever. Dad wrote up and posted some basic instructions
for the most common ones they had, made it easier for Mom to cook them.
Still, her ability to cook decreased, even the ability to follow basic
directions.

 NB>  NB>>> Another habit... can't waste food...  :)
 NB>  RH>> That was drilled into our heads!
 NB>  NB>> We grew up with it, too..  ;)

 RH> Were you only allowed one open jar of jelly/jam at once & had to use
 RH> that up before opening another? We were--"use up the old before you
 RH> start the new" was also drilled into the brain. I broke that when I
 RH> got married but it took a while to do so.

 NB> No...  Daddy liked having some variety...  But one couldn't open a new
 NB> jar of the same variety/flavor without finishing up the old jar...  :)

That makes sense. You don't want 5 jars of strawberry jelly/jam or
preserves open and no cherry preserves--they are both red.

 NB>  RH>> A nice day on Friday for moving the big stuff, rain on Saturday
 NB> so we  RH>> did a lot of run around, nice on Sunday for a big push,
 NB> with help from  RH>> our Life Group. The house on Pearce is just about
 NB> empty now; the house  RH>> on Tacy is full of boxes, furniture, etc
 NB> waiting to be organised.  NB>> Sounds like the weather didn't do bad
 NB> at all then...  and you only  NB>> have the last bits to finish off
 NB> now... plus, of course, the major job  NB>> of moving in properly...
 NB> :)

 RH> Hopefully the major part of resettling will be done by the end of the
 RH> year, the secondary settling a month or 2 after that and settling the
 RH> dust the rest of the time we're here. I'm finding more kitchen stuff
 RH> now, have the drinking glasses unpacked and put up.

 NB> Won't be too long before life will start to feel more normal... at
 NB> least in some areas of the house...  (G)

It's starting to settle in some areas, a long way from it in others. I
would like to get my sewing room set up by mid January or so.

 NB> emerge from the chaos...  NB>> and you'll be able to enjoy your new
 NB> house.  :)

 RH> Progress is being made, bit by bit. Got some Christmas lights tonight
 RH> as ours are buried in the storage unit.

 NB> Oh, right... the final frontier... (G)  Once you get the stuff IN the
 NB> house unpacked, you've still got that storage unit of all the stuff
 NB> you didn't need so badly...  ;)

Didn't need so bad or had to put up to create room. My main sewing
machine and serger are over there.

---
Catch you later,
Ruth
rchaffly{at}earthlink{dot}net  FIDO 1:396/45.28

...  It works!  Now, if only I could remember what I did.

--- PPoint 3.01
 * Origin: Sew! That's My Point (1:396/45.28)